Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Girl's Best Friend



I can't remember the exact date or year even, when he came into my life. It should be year 2002 or 2003 after I came back from Oz. So he should be about 6 years old now. Whoa! But he still look as cute as ever!

The first time I saw him he was so small that he fit snuggly into a lil' cardboard box meant for a hamster. When I pick him up my first thought was, "What the heck is this little, scrawny white thingy?". I wanted a Lassie actually, forgot what's the breed name but you have to have watch the famous dog on the TV show when you're a kid right? That Lassie, the dog who can jump into a burning house to save someone or run for help when you're in trouble and even attack anyone who dares to hurt you.

But after I got over my initial slight disappointment, I take a look at his doleful eyes and adorable face, and I just fell in love with him. Hug him tightly and named him Scooby. And he really live up to his name by being scared of almost everything, especially fireworks and bathing time.

When people ask me point blank why I love my dog so much, I find it hard to answer. I remember CL ask me this once, so I'm going to take the time now to list out the reasons why:

  • When I wake up in the morning, he's so happy to see me and hop happily to me to wish me good morning.
  • It's the same thing every time I go home, he'll greet me cheerfully like he's been waiting the whole day for me to be back.
  • Petting and cuddling him is the best stress reliever ever! It's medically proven that having pets reduces high blood pressure, hypertension and depression in adults.
  • If I'm having a bad bad day and need a pick-me-up badly, hugging his soft, fluffy body really makes me feel better. That and playing with him for a while. A safe, healthy and totally free alternative to antidepressants!
  • He's the best listener in the world cos he doesn't talk back or put you down. He'll just look at you with his sweet eyes and lovably licks your face.
So you see that's why I love him a lot. And you may think that all dogs are the same but they're not all. Each and every one of them has a different personality. And so far in my life I have 2 dogs that truly touched my heart. The first is my first dog named Yogi, a beautiful golden brown Pomeranian that I had when I was in primary school. He was a great dog for a anti-social kid like me. My childhood wouldn't have been complete without him. But he ran away one day. He always like to scamper out of the house and walk around the neighborhood. I'll go on my bike and find him to bring him back, and that day I just couldn't find him anywhere. I cried for days after that.

And the second is Scooby for all the reasons I said above. I don't even want to imagine losing him. I hope he lives for a long long time. :)

No comments: