Thursday, March 05, 2009

Good horse do not turn back to eat the grass

I've made the decision to leave my current company for a new job in Klang. Higher pay, 5 working days and it's nearer to home. Sounds like a great catch isn't it? I hope for the best that it will work out this time. Call me cynical but after changing so many jobs, I know every job has its own pitfalls and jumping into a new company is always a bit scary. It's the unknown factor.

So I've tendered my resignation yesterday to the Sales Manager, who looked really shocked that he was silent for a few minutes to gather his thoughts. Then he ask me why I'm leaving and I told him the same reasons as above. He ask me why I did not go to him first and at least give him a chance to give a better offer to me and kept asking me to reconsider. Wow, it's the first time I got a counter-offer. While it is flattering but it also make things a lot complicated. It's like he makes me feel guilty for leaving just for a higher pay, but I told him everyone works for survival, for the money. So if not talk about money, you want to talk about feelings or emotions for the company??? I'm not being materialistic, just practical and realistic about life.

It's harder to face my colleagues though, who kept asking me to stay if I do get a good counter-offer. But I've made the decision to go, I have no intention of turning back! It's like the Cantonese saying, "Good horse do not turn back to eat the grass". If you decide to leave, you have to look in front and march forward. This is because turning back will not yield a desired result in the future. You may get what you want, but they'll ask more out of you as well!

My feelings are as mixed up and unsettled as our local political climate. A part of me is glad to leave. Another part is going to miss my great colleagues. While another is a bit freak out about going to the new company. But life is like that, sometimes you just have to take the risk and make the change. If you don't, you'll always be left wondering 'What if?". And life is too short for all the "What if?".

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It takes guts to do what you did! I'm sure the new job will be great! Good luck! :)

Agent Socialite said...

that's a very very mature attitude Nat! so proud of you. :D i can't believe i miss out on all these...sorry nat was just a lot going on on my side. But I'll make it up to u. I promise :D Finally, congrats and I'm sure u'll adapt well in your new company, and make some nice colleagues.

RL said...

i totally agree with you nat! Never look back... Life is full of decision making... at times too many options but why stick to one when you know there's something better for you out there? Maybe the time has come for you to move on to a better job. If you are positive that you made the right choice i guess you probably did! Hi-five to that! (I am sooo happy for you ... esp with the extra $$$ you're getting! yey!)

nat said...

Awww thanks guys! *big hugs*

OMG Calvin, can't believe you actually gave a comment for once! :P

CL, there's no need to apologise at all. i didn't want to bother you as well as i know you got a lot to think about these days. so we're cool and I can't wait for you to come back!!

nat said...

RL, it means a lot to have your support!! was just thinking of you this morning and fyi i still miss having you around!! can't wait to see you babe!!!!!!

may said...

definitely mature. And you are right about not staying cos you know its still the same shit. More from the management possibly. So wise decision.

Kathryne said...

Hope everything's well in ur new company, Nat! Totally support u in taking the big leap for a change. No point staying if u r unhappy. Who know?! the new job might just be ur destiny! n congrats in securing a higher pay...more $$$ means more fun!!!! hehehehe