
I’ve waited months and months for this movie. As a die hard fan of the Harry Potter book series I was excited to see just how the movie will turn out to be, because it is a major turning point in the story. It is when Lord Voldermot finally arises and shows his true face, and that signals the start of the fierce war again. The classic battle between evil and good.
At last, the days draw nearer and nearer to the screening of the movie. Filled with long-awaited anticipation and the fervent hope that the movie will do full justice to the brilliance of the book and its extraordinary author, J.K Rowling. And to my utmost surprise, I won the tickets to the exclusive premier screening of the movie. How could it get any better than that?
So I invited a close friend (total Muggle who never read the book before!) to watch it with me. At the end of the movie, I can’t really describe my feelings. It’s a mixed of unbridled joy and bitter disappointment. Weird combination I know.
Let me tell you why. First, the action scenes were excellent, especially the exciting underwater rescue mission scene. I also love the beautiful setting for the glamorous Yule Ball. The cinematography has truly been enhanced to give a more mature outlook to the movie, which sets the climate for the darker tone of the story.
So why didn’t it rock the world for the fanatic Harry Potter fan you may ask. Well there were couple of reasons but the most important of all, is the director should never have changed the storyline of the book. Thou should never mess with the genius that is J.K Rowling. Why do you think she is the richest woman in UK and her books sold millions of copies all around the world?
Did he change the story because it was too long or he wanted to simplify it so that it’s more comprehensible to the moviegoers? He should not have underestimated the intellect of the audience. More significantly, he should not have disappointed the legions of HP fans.
Spoiler Caution! Don’t read below if you haven’t seen the movie!
The following is the list of things I didn’t like about the movie:
Barty Crouch Jr. never appears so prominently in the book. He was not supposed to be in the scene with Wormtail and Voldermot when they were in the house and kill the eavesdropping caretaker.
Mad-Eye Moody was not so obvious in helping Harry with the tasks – giving Neville the book about water plants so that he found out about ‘gillyweed’ and offer it to Harry to breathe underwater. It was suppose to be Dobby.
The whole part on Hermione was cut off. She started S.P.E.W to demand that elves get paid and given holidays. Also some of her scenes were too emotional, she’s supposed to be the smart and calm one. She was never all over Harry and all.
The Pensive scene was cut short. Should have included the part where Barty Crouch Jr. appears in the hearing as suspected to be a Death Eater. He was supposed to be a scared innocent-looking boy who maybe was in the wrong place at the wrong time. His father wanted to maintain his reputation so he coldly sent his son to Azkaban. He did not appear as crazy as in the movie. That’s why you couldn’t figure out it was him until the end, when it was revealed to you.
The enchanted maze part. A monstrous creature attacked Harry so he got injured on his leg. Krum under the Imperius Curse was going to kill Cedric but Harry stunned him in time. So there was no scene where Cedric got pulled under by plants and Harry can’t decide whether to save him or go for the Triwizard Cup. Harry will never even think of choosing glory instead of saving someone. When they reach the cup, Harry told Cedric to take it because he arrived first but Cedric old Harry to take it as he saved his life. At the end, Harry said let’s take it together. So he felt very guilty later as he blames himself for asking Cedric to take the cup with him.
Another vital scene was cut off. Cornelius Fudge, the power-crazed but talent less Minister of Magic did not believe Harry or Dumbledore when they told him that Voldermot is back. He didn’t want to risk his position by making an unpopular statement. That was why The Order of Phoenix, the gang under the leadership of Dumbledore has to fight Voldermot and Death Eaters on their own.
This is the brief version of my rant and rave. I guess if I see the movie without reading the book I might have think it was great. I still think it was good but just a little disappointing. Maybe I shouldn’t have put my hope so high.
Well there is the next movie in the series. Let’s hope they pick a better director this time. I’ll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment