Saturday, June 16, 2007

What do you believe?

Karma. Yeah for those who knows me, they know I've always talked about it. It's my one constant principle in life. Some sort of a morality benchmark, in place of a deep belief in any religion. Although some may argue that since Karma and all its meanings and purposes came from Buddhism, then isn't it logical to categorise myself as a believer in Buddhist? But I don't pray, well once a while or for special occasion got la... it doesn't count does it?

Anyway this topic of Karma has been coming up pretty often during conversations with friends lately. And no surprisingly, it wasn't brought up by me. *smirks deviously* Guess I have more influence over my friends that I thought possible.

So you're probably wondering by now why do I believe so much in Karma. Ok let me explain it. I've learned about Karma when I was in secondary school. From someone who was a true believer in Buddhist. It's how I make sense of the crazy world we live in. The chain of cause and effect. How your past life affects the present and the present affects the next life. Whatever actions you did in your previous life or right now, it will always come back to haunt you.

Excerpts from http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm

Karma is the law of moral causation. Nevertheless, it was the Buddha who explained and formulated this doctrine in the complete form in which we have it today.

What is the cause of the inequality that exists among mankind?
Why should one person be brought up in the lap of luxury, endowed with fine mental, moral and physical qualities, and another in absolute poverty, steeped in misery?
Why should one person be a mental prodigy, and another an idiot?
Why should one person be born with saintly characteristics and another with criminal tendencies?
Why should some be linguistic, artistic, mathematically inclined, or musical from the very cradle?
Why should others be congenitally blind, deaf, or deformed?|
Why should some be blessed, and others cursed from their births?

Either this inequality of mankind has a cause, or it is purely accidental. No sensible person would think of attributing this unevenness, this inequality, and this diversity to blind chance or pure accident.

As we sow, we reap somewhere and sometime, in this life or in a future birth. What we reap today is what we have sown either in the present or in the past.

Hence, we are the result of what we were; we will be the result of what we are.


If you have always thought that I take Karma too seriously, there you have it, my logical reasons for it. Seriously if everyone in the world follows this doctrine, there would be less crimes, less brutality against your fellow human beings and innocent animals, less wars, less discriminations, less pollutions; and national acts like NEP and protection for Proton would never have been created and imposed in the first place. There you have it Ladies and Gentlemen, the solution for World Peace! :)


No comments: